Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Profile: Lochna Menon


Lochna. In Sanskrit, it means sight. But by no means do I have good sight! What I do have is a vision, to learn more, to become more empowered, to inspire and be inspired. I’m currently pursuing a double major in International Studies and Writing. International Studies, because it teaches me about the different aspects of what it means to be international – be it history, politics, migration, globalization, feminism, and writing because it gives me an outlet to express myself. During free time, I usually read or write; I read books, blogs, poetry and manga (my favourites are Lee Hyeon Sook, Kaori Yuki, Keats, Larkin, John Clare, and ‘Comfort Woman’ by Nora Okja Keller) and write poems. My ambition is actually to become a writer, but I also want to become a journalist because my goal is to inspire and be inspired, and journalism seems like a good way to live. However, I also realize that I am still very young and very green – as cliché as that sounds. That’s why I’m very happy to meet new people and new cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment